I thought it would be useful for me to publish my wish list for Singapore. This is a first draft. I will update this page as needed.
Singapore is my country and I want it to be the best nation on the planet.
Information and Communication:
- Freedom of Information Act
- Establishment of data.gov.sg
- All data created by tax payers monies will be available to all at no cost
- All government sponsored research shall be made available to all at low-cost.
- All government procurement of ICT must consider open standards/open source FIRST and any considerations of non-open source solutions do be done on a exception basis.
- Explicit outlawing of software patents
- Remove “ban” of personal satellite dishes
- Reduction of importance of second language in schools. Focus on Science, Math, English as tier one, Singapore/Asian history, Geography as tier two and Languages as tier three.
- [new April 2] Move second language to be a optional subject for admission criteria into polytechnics/universities.
- Full academic freedom at NUS, NTU, SMU and any other publicly funded universities and polytechnics. Full tenure for faculty.
- [new April 2] Waiving of all ‘bonds’ of scholarship recipients, and replacing the terms with a commitment to work in Singapore or for a Singapore-related organization (either public or private) for a period of three years following graduation.
- Establishment of an independent Elections Commission. The EC subsumes the current Elections Department and move out of the jurisdiction of the PMO.
- “Party Political Broadcasts” will be of equal time regardless of number of candidates fielded by the parties. Level the playing field.
- Establishment of a Constitutional Court
- Full webcasting of parliamentary proceedings and committee meetings all unedited and realtime.
- Significant reduction of ministerial salaries to reasonable levels. Remove the “magic formula”. Full disclosure of salaries of all MPs (as paid by the state; not what they also get outside/professional engagements)
- Remove election walkovers.
- Remove pensions for “retired” MPs
- Remove the constraints on who can run for President and reinstate the office of the First Lady
- Appoint a Vice President
- Removal of party whip and let MPs vote for what’s best for their constituents. The voting records have to be fully public and verifiable.
- Fixed dates for elections.
- Removal of GerrymandeRed Constituencies. All become single member constituencies, they way it is supposed to be.
- [new, April 2] Representation in Parliament of the foreign talent/workers. As long as they comprise more than 10% of the people living in Singapore, the deserve representation in the Parliament.
- [new April 2] Fixed and flat “election deposit” of S$1000 instead of the moving target it is today.
- Repeal of the Newspapers and Printing Presses Act
- Reinstatement of National Language in schools and the playing of the National Anthem at the start of all events
- Remove 3/4 tank rule. It’s unconstitutional anyway.
- Full free speech rights as per UN declaration of human rights
- To add the Access to the Internet as a basic right.
- [new April 2] National Thanksgiving Day: a day of recognition, expression of thanks and celebration of Singapore and Singaporeans.
- Introduce minimum wage
- Increase in government subsidies for Singaporeans at local universities.
- Fund and deploy electric cars systems.
- [new April 2] Switching all property lease lifetimes to freehold. There is no economic value in time-restricted lease schemes (99 year etc).
- [new April 2] Full and complete disclosure of Temasek Holdings and GIC.
- Strengthening of judicial independence
- Full and complete publication of all legal proceedings, judgments and made available to all at no cost
- [new April 2] Full and complete review within 48 hours of individuals detained under ISA.
- [new April 2] Establishment of the Office of the Ombudsman.
- [new April 2] Abolishment of the death penalty.
- Moderate inflow of foreigners
- Invite former Singaporeans to consider returning home
- Forgive NS defaulters and start fresh
- Review NS to accommodate non-uniformed service option
- Publish numbers of new citizens in a constituency every year.
- Publish number of Singaporeans who renounced their citizenship.
- Introduce dual citizenship schemes
Thank you for taking your time to think through and write this out Harish. I applaud you for voicing out.